1.26.2011

Slán a Fhágáil

I had the most amazing birthday of my life. I landed on Friday at 6:30am and went straight to the hotel. That day I visited the Jameson Distillery and had my first Irish Coffee on Irish soil. After the tour I went back to the hotel area to meet up with a friend from Dublin. Vicky landed shortly after and we headed up to the Dublin Mountains.

Johnnie Fox's was SO MUCH FUN. I ate pigeon. We danced, laughed, did Irish car bombs and kept going until closing. The band even dedicated a song to me!

The next day we visited Co. Wicklow, Avoca, and Glendalough. (The reason I'm being so brief in description is because I've attached my album of pictures below.

We visited the National Leprechaun Museum, Grafton St., St. Stephen's Green and Temple Bar. Also an evening of Food, Folklore and Fairy Tales at the oldest pub in Ireland, The Brazen Head (where the entire room sang Happy Birthday to me - that's the birthday cake above).

Unfortunately, on the morning of our last day, I sprained my ankle. BAD. It was super swollen and blue, but I powered through (stupidly) because I couldn't bear to not have a great last day.

Vicky was super patient and cool with me. That's a real friend. :-) (and so pretty, you'll see that in the pix as well).

Upon landing back in DC I went straight to the emergency room and ended up on crutches.

After my time in Ireland, I've been thinking about what I learned. The people there are SO NICE. It goes without saying that if you are nice to people, they are nice to you, and then nice to others, and so on and so forth. We could use a bit more of that in America. I've also decided to really embrace local, healthy, clean food. No processing or additives in the meals I ate over there, and I felt great. I wish good clean food was as easily accessible over here without going to "Whole Paycheck".

It's now snowing really hard out and we're expecting about 10". A far cry from last winter, but I'm happy to see it on the ground (it also makes me feel less badly about not being able to make it to the office).



No comments:

Post a Comment